Your account

What happens if I move abroad?

If you are no longer a UK resident, please let us know by dropping us a message through our in-app chat, or to our email at, and a member of the team will be able to guide you through the next steps for your account.

Typically, you’ll need to be a ‘UK resident for tax purposes’ in order to make contributions into your Moneybox account(s).

For our cash savings accounts (Notice Accounts, Simple Saver and Reward Savings Account) and General Investment Account however, this is not the case! You can continue to contribute to those accounts as normal should you move abroad, providing the funds are still coming from a UK bank account registered in your name. 

Even if you’re not able to contribute, you can continue to hold your accounts with us as normal! You’d continue to earn interest and/or be subject to investment gains/losses as normal. Please note that, for our investment products, you’d also still be charged our regular account fees.

The only exception to the above is if you move to the United States, as unfortunately we’re not able to provide our services to US citizens (including dual citizens) or those who pay tax in the US. In these cases, we would need to close your Moneybox account.

Please also note that, for the Lifetime ISA specifically, HMRC rules also state you can only use your LISA towards a first property purchase within the UK, meaning you wouldn’t be able to use these funds to purchase your first home abroad without incurring the 25% government penalty. In addition, if you were to use your funds for retirement, your funds may be subject to the relevant tax rules of the country you’re residing in. 

View other topics

It's important you know

All investing should be regarded as longer term. The value of your investments can go up and down, and you may get back less than you invest.

Risk Warning
Get the app