Many of us are now spending a lot of time at home as we adhere to social distancing guidelines. For those who are adjusting to this new way of living, you may be feeling a lack of motivation, or struggling with the isolation.
Here’s our 7 tips on how to stay productive and motivated during these challenging times. Whether you tune up an old guitar, sort out your finances, or meditate to reduce the stress, we hope these tips will help keep you feeling energised. 💪
Stick to a routine ⏰
Now you’re spending almost all day at home, it can be easy for the hours to blend together. To help avoid this, try making a daily or weekly routine and sticking to it. This will help you keep a sense of order and make sure you are still getting things done throughout the day. Your daily routine might include:
- Get dressed by a certain time every morning (no lounging around in pjs all day!)
- Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner at appropriate times and try not to skip meals
- Do a form of daily exercise (more tips on this below!)
- Make sure you’re eating healthily and keeping hydrated throughout the day
- Try to go to bed at a similar time each night
Writing tasks down on a to-do list can also help ensure you stick to a daily routine. Even if it’s only a few small things, you’ll feel a huge sense of accomplishment as you tick them off and feel ready to take on your next challenge.
Spring clean your home 🧹
With more spare time on your hands, why not give your home a deep spring clean and create a space that makes you happy to spend time in? Declutter any old books or papers you no longer need, organise your kitchen cupboards or sort out your wardrobe. Tidy house, tidy mind. 🙏
As we all know, it’s especially important to make sure that your living areas are clean, including the things that you use and touch every day. So be sure to wipe down any remote controls, door handles, keys or your phone!
Whilst the gym or swimming pool may no longer be an option, there are still plenty of ways to break a sweat within the confines of your own four walls. Many online websites and apps are offering free or extended trials to help us all keep active, including:
- Chris Hemsworth’s workout now offers a free 6-week trial
- Davina McCall has a free 30 day membership
- Joe Wicks offers a range of classes (including daily PE lessons if you have little ones!)
- FIIT has 25 and 40 minute online classes! Check out Moneybox+ as we are offering a user-only deal where you can receive 30 day for FREE and money back into your Moneybox account. Head in-app to the Discover tab to find out more!
- Fitbit Premium app now has a 90-day trial including mindfulness training, guided meditations and video workouts
- Instagram live. Lots of workout classes are being offered on Instagram, including Barry’s Bootcamp, womenshealthmag / menshealthmag, Psycle yoga classes
- Youtube has a range of videos for all to try at home
Whether it’s a HIIT class, a dance routine or relaxing yoga, it’s important to keep your body and mind fit and healthy. Once you finish your workout you’ll feel a rush of endorphins, keeping you happy and motivated for the rest of the day.
Tidy up your finances 🗂️
Chances are most of us have a long list of life-admin that we never seem to have the time to do, including sorting out our finances. Why not use this time to think about saving and investing for your future?
Moneybox offers a range of products to help you achieve your financial goals, so whether you’re saving for your dream home, a holiday or just a rainy day, Moneybox is here to help. You can even start planning for your retirement, all from the comfort of your sofa.
Learn something new 🎸
Being indoors is a great time to start learning something new. Whether you master some new recipes, pick up an instrument that’s been gathering dust or start getting to grips with a new language, learning something new is a great way to keep your brain active and engaged whilst at home.
There are plenty of courses and learning resources currently being offered for free, including:
- Free 3 month language course with Rosetta Stone / Babbel free for 6 months
- Free guitar lessons from Fender for 3 months
- Many Ivy Leagues courses are being offered for free, covering a range of topics
- 100s of free kids Audible books for the little ones
As well as picking up something new, why not take up a new hobby and see how far you can get with it? There are plenty of hobbies to get started with at home, including reading, drawing or playing a sport in your back garden. Remember to take things one step at a time and stay realistic with your goals so that you don’t give up!
Stay in touch with friends and family 📱
Social distancing can make many of us feel lonely and isolated, which can make us feel a lack of motivation. Whilst it is paramount that we keep to social distancing, this doesn’t mean we have to feel alone.
Luckily, technology allows us to easily stay in contact with friends and relatives, so take the time to message, phone or video call those close to you. You could try doing online games and pub quizzes, or just have a virtual coffee catch up. This is also a great time to reach out to distant relatives who may be feeling especially lonely at the moment. Having regular catch ups with your loved ones will help you relax and can be a great mood booster to keep you feeling productive for the rest of the day.
Look after yourself 🤗
Whilst it’s important to stay busy and active, it’s also important to make sure you’re looking after yourself.
Here are a few things you could do to unwind:
- Run yourself a relaxing bubble bath
- Switch off with a new series. BBC iPlayer are offering a range of box sets for free
- Relax and meditate. Calm and Headspace currently offer meditations to help ease feelings of anxiety and unrest during this period of time
- Treat yourself with some online shopping. Head over to the ‘Discover’ tab of the Moneybox app and find Moneybox+, our scheme that includes great rewards and offers, allowing you to save while you spend! So whether you’re eyeing a new set of lounge wear to help you feel comfortable at home, or fancy a bouquet of flowers from Bloom & Wild to freshen up your living area, don’t miss out on these extra savings.
It’s easy to become overwhelmed with the sheer volume of news updates going around, so make sure you have some ‘me-time’ every now and then. You’ll feel much more relaxed and ready to tackle your next task once you do.
We hope that some of these tips will help you stay productive, motivated and feeling happy during this time.
Whilst the team at Moneybox continue adhering to official guidelines of working from home, as a digital company we remain online and are still here to help with any queries you have.
The value of your investments can go up and down, and you may get back less than you invest.